If you are 3D animator and you want to work on ubuntu, your best choice is to use blender, blender is a free and open source 3D animation suite.
You can install blender on ubuntu with this command (tested on ubuntu 14.04 trusty tahr):
sudo apt-get install blender
Blender key feature:
- Blender is a fully integrated 3D content creation suite, offering a broad range of essential tools, including Modeling, Rendering, Animation, Video Editing, VFX, Compositing, Texturing, Rigging, many types of Simulations, and Game Creation.
- Cross platform, with an OpenGL GUI that is uniform on all major platforms (and customizable with Python scripts).
- High-quality 3D architecture enabling fast and efficient creation work-flow.
- Excellent community support from forums and IRC.
- Small executable size, optionally portable.